is one of the eighteen townships
of Delaware County, Ohio,
It is located in central Ohio northeast of Columbus Ohio. It has
an area of about 25.8 sq. miles, and is home to about 1925 residents.
The former Sunbury Township, formed in 1808, contained the present
townships of Harlem, Trenton, Porter, half of Berkshire and half
of Genoa as well as Morrow County's Peru, Bennington, Lincoln and
Harmony Townships. Slowly the different townships were set off with
Genoa being the last to pull off from Sunbury.
Porter Township was
organized between 1826 and 1827, exact date unknown. It was named
after Judge Robert Porter, of Philadelphia, who received a patent
for 4,000 acres of land in this township, from President John Adams
to satisfy warrants for military service.
The first village or
town in this township was Olive Green, and was laid out in 1835,
followed by East Liberty. The village of Peerless, in northeastern
Porter Township has mostly disappeared.
The first settlement
in this township was made by squatters, known as "Taways"
as early as 1807. A number of families settled on this section before
the war of 1812 and were from English, Dutch and Irish nationalities.
The above information was obtained
from the following websites:
History of Delaware County:
Brief Histories - Townships of Eastern Delaware County:
Big Walnut Area Historical Society: